After being pregnant for almost 7 months, I’ve learned a few things about maternity clothes. I originally had no idea what I would need, if any of my non-maternity clothes would still fit me once I had a “bump,” or what brands would become my favorites. I’m here today to pass on some of my “maternity essentials,” to all of you mamas-to-be in hopes of saving you some time and money as you begin to “dress the bump.”
- JCrew Jeans – I bought these side-paneled jeans in rinse wash and black and they have been amazing! (I have the toothpick style, but I’m linking the matchstick since it looks like mine are out of season) They are super flattering on, and even come in tall sizes (which is hard to find in maternity). The only thing I would caution you on is that they don’t have the full panel for belly coverage, which was actually great early on in my pregnancy but is not as useful the last few months. I would recommend Loft maternity jeans if you’re looking for a full panel.
- A little bling – I’ve always loved to accessorize, but have fully realized the importance of a great statement necklace or blanket scarf when dressing for two. Since you won’t want to buy a whole new wardrobe to wear for just a few months, some great accessories can help you to mix, match and change up those key pieces you’ll be wearing again and again.
- Gap leggings – These are AMAZING. They have a full panel, are super comfy and great quality. I wear mine to lounge around the house or with a tunic or dress for work. I would recommend investing in both a gray and black pair, especially if you live in a cold-weather climate or are pregnant during the fall/winter.
- GapFit Tee – Great basic for working out or running errands. I also have a short sleeved tee from this same line, which is also a great basic to have!
- PinkBlush cardigan – I can’t say enough about this cardigan. It’s amazingly soft and versatile, perfect for lounging around the house or dressing up for a night out. I plan to wear mine into next year as well – I’m not really sure why it’s considered maternity!
- Blanket scarf – Remember what I said about accessories? Definitely invest in a great scarf if you’re pregnant in the fall or winter! Bonus: you can wear it for years to come, even after that sweet baby is out of your belly and in your arms!
- PinkBlush tunic – This is a great tunic that I recently purchased, but really any looser fitting tunic is going to be your best friend! They are so cute dressed up with leggings, but you’ll still feel like you’re in your PJ’s! Non-maternity tunics are actually best, so that you can wear them later on as well. P.S. Anything from PinkBlush is pretty great for cute maternity pieces!
- Gap Tee – My love affair with Gap maternity continues. I tried other stores, but honestly had the most luck with Gap’s stuff. I have this tee in gray, black and white and wear it all the time to layer under a sweater or vest or with a blanket scarf.
- Lou & Grey Dresses/Tunics – These are a great non-maternity option because of how loose they fit. Perfect with a pair of maternity leggings and flats or boots for fall/winter. Again, great for now, and you can wear again later!
- Comfy shoes – I’ve always been about looks over comfort when it comes to shoes, but that has pretty much gone out the window since being pregnant. I look for every opportunity possible to wear my New Balance Fresh Foams, and the black color pairs well with everything! Visit 605 Running Co. if you live in the Sioux Falls area for a personal shoe fitting!
I’d love to hear from you! How far along are you? What are some of your maternity essentials?